Friday, July 13, 2012

Made the Grade: Face The Music by Andrea K. Robbins

Format: Kindle Edition | File Size: 601 KB | Release Date: June 2012 | Publisher: Self-Published | Obtained: Smashwords

"Face The Music" by Andrea K. Robbins

My Book Summary : Six months ago, Allison (Allie) got her heart stomped on by her then-boyfriend of about three years, Paul, by him just up and moving after saying that she "was sucking the life out of him." Now she plans on keeping her heart safeguarded and just staying friends with any guy that comes along. Which seems pretty easy, especially when she has a lot on her plate. To begin with she’s the "bread earner" in her family (consisting of her 21-year-old sister, her 4-year-old niece, and her grandmother who's in a assisted living home) while taking on a full college work load to earn her Ph.D. and working as a teacher for the latest hit reality singing show Superstardom. It all makes it so Allie stays busy without having a love life or caring about not having one.

That is until one of the lead competitors of the show, 27-year-old Chris Knots, starts taking notice of her. At first, Allie puts everything between them down as a crush on her end and Chris just being nice. However, over time they both come to realize what's between them is so much more. If only they can keep what they have real while the fame of the show and Chris' leading "stardom" surrounds them. Will they make it?

My Book Review : 3.5 out of 5 stars, this is a thought provoking take on the reality singing show world that kept my attention wrapped while having me rooting for Allie and Chris the whole way!! I am surprised to say that since Allie mostly annoyed me throughout this novel, because of how she doesn't commit until the last minute. However, I understood that all problems with committing to Chris (or anyone for that matter) because of how badly burned she was and afraid of heartache she is again. As I pushed on, I could feel myself growing to love her close-knit group of friends and family! It turns into a very sweet moving romance story that I could not put down. And I'm sooo happy about whom Jake ends up with since I was hoping that from the beginning!!

All in all, I recommend this novel to anyone who likes contemporary romances, especially ones where the main male character in a hot singer!!

Book Teaser(s) :
Teaser #1 ~ within Chapter 1
With the look he was giving me I couldn’t have said no even if I wanted to.
I dished out the soup, and we sat across from each other at the small table. “You made this?” he asked, scooping up a carrot and a noodle.
“Yeah, it was my mom’s recipe. She always made it for us when we were sick.”
He took a bite, chewed, and swallowed hard. “Wow,” he said, reaching for his glass. That wasn’t quite the reaction I was expecting. I took a quick bite and immediately spit it back out into the bowl. “Oh my gosh, it’s horrible! Don’t eat it!” I said when he lifted his spoon for another taste.
“It’s not that bad,” he chuckled. “It sure doesn’t need salt, though, does it?”
“I halved the recipe, but I must have used the wrong measuring spoon.” I snatched his bowl and staggered for the sink. I couldn’t move too quickly, walking boot and all. “I’m so sorry, this is awful!”
“Hey, I was going to eat that!” he protested as I dumped the contents of the bowl.
“Well, now you’re not!” ~ within Chapter 11
His bedroom door cracked open. “Are you ready?”
Was I ready? What a good question that was. I thought I was ready, but what, exactly, was I ready for?
“Allie?” The door opened wider, and he poked his head out.
“Yep,” I said, my voice soft. “Whenever you are.”
He opened the door the rest of the way and looked at me. I flushed and tried to wiggle further down the table. My heels were already at the edge.
“I thought maybe you’d bolted. Thought I’d scared you off or something.”
“I don’t scare too easily,” I said boldly.
He grinned. “Good to know. I’m going to use coconut oil. It’s raw and organic, what my sister uses on her clients.”
“What if I’m allergic to coconuts?”
He froze and looked down at me. “Are you?”
“No.”
His lips twitched into a smile. ~ within Chapter 20
For more information on this book, and/or any other books by Andrea, then please check her out on the Goodreads' website.

2 comments :

  1. Hello, I was asked to review this book, am now finished with reading and my review. I was searching around to see what the other thoughts were on this and found you, followed and requested a goodreads friend request.


    Pagegirlspageof BookReviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi -- Thanks for becoming a new follower!! And as I saw on your blog--like you I'm a "I am an obsessive compulsive chain reader" so I am very welcome to have you here! *hehee*

      Delete

Thank you for taking your time to comment!!

*The owner has the right to remove comments that she would consider spam*

This site is a participant in various affiliate advertising programs through Amazon.com, Rakuten Marketing, Commission Junction, IndieBound, Smashwords, Book Depository, and more that are designed to provide a means for Jess to earn minimal advertising fees by showcasing the areas you can purchase the corresponding products that Jess discusses within her blog posts. Basically Jess earns from qualifying purchases.
More specifically Jess partners those websites' programs and you should be aware that they may collect personal information when you interact with their sites. The collection and use of this information is subject to their own privacy policies.
You can check out Rakuten Marketing's privacy policy here: https://rakutenmarketing.com/legal-notices/services-privacy-policy/