Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Disappointmentville: Calhoun Chronicles, Book 1

Format: Paperback | Pages: 391 | Release Date: May 2008 | Publisher: Mira Books | Obtained: My Mom (previously read it, loved it, and gave it to me saying I had to read it)

"The Charm School" [Calhoun Chronicles, Book 1] by Susan Wiggs

My Book Summary : Isadora has always been an "odd bird" compared to the rest of her family. They all thought of her as too smart, not pretty enough, socially inept, and the daughter/sibling who was destined to become the spinster of the family. Well, when she is given an opportunity to set sail for Rio, and learn of places she has only read about, she makes sure she'll be able to join the voyage by any means necessary even if that means going over the Captain's head to do so...

Captain Ryan Calhoun came from a good southern family name, and walked away from it all so he could help his best friend and former slave, Journey, find a way to earn enough money too free Journey's family. Yet all their plans could go to pieces, accidentally by Isadora if they aren't careful...

Will Ryan & Isadora be able to find some common ground between the two of them so both their dream will come true? Or will they both be hurt during the process?

My Book Review : 2 out of 5 stars. Two people try to accomplish some of their life goals while slowly falling in love along the way.

I wanted to like this novel so much. My mother gave me my copy saying she absolutely loved it, so maybe my hopes for the novel were too high. I dunno. All I can say is it wasn't anything like I had hoped for and I was very disappointed with it.

My biggest issue with this novel was with how much Isadora dislikes herself, yet how unwilling she is to change her ways. Then when Ryan steps in, I'll admit not always doing the changes in the most polite ways, to help her out she freaks. It was all very annoying, making it so I gave up reading the novel fully by Chapter 18 and just skimmed the rest of it to see how it ended.

I recommend this novel to only those who are fans of Susan Wiggs.

- On a side note -
I am curious to see how Isadora & Ryan decided to live their lives since--by the end of the novel it seems--they'd be living on the run. =0/

The latest cover is great though! =0)

My Previous Interview(s) with this Author : September 2012

My Previous Review(s) for this Author : Return to Willow Lake

Author's Novel Extras : Read an excerpt | I want to write a historical romance. | A tale of 3 book covers | The 3 Faces of Isadora | Unexpected and welcome news | Reviewing the reviewers | Thar she blows! | genre and time period | ‘fessing up

Author's Series Extras : Calhoun Chronicles | Bundle o’ love | Another reason I love libraries | further thoughts on series books

Book Teaser(s) :
"Thank you, Captain," she murmured.
"Now that we're ashore, you should call me Ryan."
"I couldn't possibly."
He gestured at his mother and aunt who crossed the patio ahead of them. "The other ladies do."
"Your ladies of the night, I presume," she said tartly.
"That would be 'ladies of the afternoon,'" he explained. "And for the record, there was only one. You are keeping score, are you not?"
She made a strange wheezing sound, but couldn't seem to get a word out.
"I meant my mother and aunt," he said, taking pity on her. "They call me by my given name."
"They're related to you."
He winked at Isadora. "That can be arranged."
Her gaze darted away. "You shouldn't tease."
Maybe I wasn't. The idea was too absurd and too startling to voice out loud, yet the instant it occurred to him, it sent down roots that reached deep inside to a tender place in his heart. ~ within Chapter 13
For more information on this book, series, and/or any other books by Susan, then please check out her website.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment!!

*The owner has the right to remove comments that she would consider spam*

This site is a participant in various affiliate advertising programs through Amazon.com, Rakuten Marketing, Commission Junction, IndieBound, Smashwords, Book Depository, and more that are designed to provide a means for Jess to earn minimal advertising fees by showcasing the areas you can purchase the corresponding products that Jess discusses within her blog posts. Basically Jess earns from qualifying purchases.
More specifically Jess partners those websites' programs and you should be aware that they may collect personal information when you interact with their sites. The collection and use of this information is subject to their own privacy policies.
You can check out Rakuten Marketing's privacy policy here: https://rakutenmarketing.com/legal-notices/services-privacy-policy/